ripe papaya jam with ginger
For 8 to 16 people
Preparation time : 20 minutes + 8 hours
Cooking time : 30 minutes
What you need
-1 papaya about 630 g
– 300 g caster sugar
– 1 lime (juice and zest)
– 1 piece of ginger 20g
For the equivalent of about 2 190g jars each
Tips / advice / variations of this recipe are extremely important.
A must read. See below *
This jam makes you travel and you exchange, at least for this year, des confits de figues et d’oignons toujours excellents, il va s’en dire 🙂, to accompany your foie gras.
Preparation of the recipe
– Wash the fruit and wipe with a clean cloth
– Cut in two equal parts in the papaya lengthwise
- Remove with a teaspoon, seeds and slightly gelatinous filaments surrounding (mucilage) and also lining the heart of the fruit
– Cut the papaya diced
– Put in a bowl, papaya pieces, sugar, juice and lemon zest, and the finely sliced ginger. Mix well and cover with a transparent film.
– Soak it all for at least 8 hours (For my part, it was from 0h at 8am)*
– Blend the mixture
-Bring to boil on high heat for 5 minutes and then on medium heat 25 minutes, stirring regularly *. The starting juice becomes thick, golden, almost translucent
– Put the still hot jam into jars previously sterilized *
Tips / advice / variants
* Maceration why ?
– For the fruit soaks up the flavors, tastes and flavors. Right here, juice and lemon zest, ginger
* Stir regularly why ?
– To prevent fruit and sugar attach to the bottom of the pan
– Be careful not to burn yourself. Indeed, who cooked jam to a rolling boil, même à feu moyen fait des sauts assez spectaculaires 🙂 !!! I put a lid, without completely closing the pan (view the photo) that every time I had finished stirring the mixture
* Sterilizing jars why ?
– To avoid health risks such as botulism
« Botulism is a serious neurological disease caused by a highly potent toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It develops especially in poorly preserved foods, and general illness caused by food poisoning. If botulism is rare, its mortality remains high when treatment is not immediate. "More information on http://www.pasteur.fr/fr/institut-pasteur/presse/fiches-info/botulisme
* Sterilizing jars how ?
– Boil in a large water jars and lids for at least 10 minutes after the first boil (I left 15 minutes after the first boil)
– Out carefully pots and lid and gently dry them on a clean towel (I cleaned the jars with another clean cloth qu''il because there was a limestone deposit thereon. J’espère que ce n’est pas une hérésie culinaire 🙂 !!!
– Once the pots filled with still warm jam, put the lid and seal
– Return the pots until the jam cools, this allows to empty,
to avoid that air enters the jars
* You can use ginger powder, 1 or 2 teaspoons depending on whether you want a more or less fragrant jam. You can do without one if you do not like the taste (yes people like these exist :-)J !!!) or replace it with cinnamon.
Treat yourself, feast your families, friends and keep us informed of your culinary flights of fancy and taste of your travels ...